- Devastating up close on unarmored adversaries
- Spreading pattern is conducive to suppressing fire at a distance
- Low capacity
- Reloading a tube-fed pump action or semi-automatic shotgun is much more difficult than with a magazine fed-rifle, especially under extreme stress.
- Spreading pattern presents a risk of pellets going where they are not intended
- Overpentration risk is about the same as an AR-15
- FELT RECOIL
The idea that a shotgun “has no learning curve” is one of the more dangerous gun myths out there because it encourages laziness (both physical and mental) with regards to personal protection.
Good home defense tactics such as maintaining a good security posture (locking your doors), designating a safe room, fields of fire, and an action plan to get to the safe room will go much farther than a piece of hardware.