I often discuss this case with my students to help them understand the sort of evil that they may face in a home defense scenario.
This happened on July 23rd, 2007 in the quiet suburb of Cheshire. Connecticut. Hayley Petit, Michaela Petit, and Jennifer Hawke-Petit were raped and murdered and William Petit was the only one who lived.
Please watch the above video from Mojopin12 on Youtube. It provides an excellent summary of what happened.
Here is a transcript of the confession from Joshua Komisarjevsky.
One of the more disturbing things about the audio confession, is how nonchalant Joshua Komisarjevsky is about what he has done to this family.
The two monsters (Steven Hayes and Joshua Komisarjevsky) had extensive criminal histories dating back to when they were teenagers.
People such as this take no responsibility for their actions.
Even while on death row, the Steven Hayes and Joshua Komisarjevsky have demonstrated no remorse for their crimes.
- Hayes and Komisarjevsky show that bad guys come in all shapes, sizes, backgrounds and COLORS.
- Bad guys travel in packs and escalate crimes while in a pack.
- This is part of why capacity in a firearm magazine is important.
- Dr. William Petit was asleep on the outside porch when the home invaders struck.
- There was a baseball bat left in the front yard that the Hayes and Komisarjevsky used on Dr. William Petit.
- Steven Hayes was armed with a pellet gun.
- Jennifer Hawke-Petit and Michaela Petit were scouted out by Joshua Komisarjevsky while in a grocery store and were followed home.
- When you are out shopping, be mindful of anyone looking at you with a hard stare
- Be mindful of anyone whose movements are starting to mirror yours.
- If you think someone is following you while you are driving, then do not take a direct route back to your house.
- Make a U-Turn as well as turns that you would not normally make while traveling home.
- Do not underestimate the savagery of an assailant.
- Do not put yourself at the mercy of people who have none.
- The Hartford Courant’s Articles on the Home Invasion
- An Interview with the Prosecutor
- Dr. William Petit “In Cold Blood” Story Has New, Happier Chapter (lawandmore.typepad.com)
- Man gets life for fatal Ocala home invasion (TBO.com)
- Man gets life for fatal home invasion (local10.com)
- Suspect arrested in IE home invasion, murder of elderly woman (abclocal.go.com)
- Sherri Shepherd Wants A Gun After Home Invasion Scare (blackamericaweb.com)
- Despite legislative “future” repeal, Connecticut death penalty to face trial (sentencing.typepad.com)
- Reward offered in Athens home invasion and attempted abduction (onlineathens.com)
- The Other Kind of Criminals (normaltalkingperson.wordpress.com)
- Woman injured in violent home invasion (bigpondnews.com)
- 2 Suspects Held In Violent Bedford, NH, Home Invasion (boston.cbslocal.com)