Very interesting development.
Observations on the Defense Distributed Liberator Pistol
- It is a single shot pistol much like the Liberator Pistol of World War 2, so it is much more of a bushwacking type weapon than something for sustained defense.
- The original liberator pistol’s method of use was that a partisan fighter would casually walk up to a Nazi soldier, shoot him in the back of the head and take his Stg-44, Mauser 98, or MP40.
- This goes back to the fact that pistols are not Klingon death rays. Pistol bullets have to hit a vital organ to be incapacitating.
- It is a weapon that could be acquired in places where only the wealthy and connected can (legally) own guns.
- It can be deployed defensively, however a backup weapon (another gun, a blade, or stick) would likely be needed as well.
- Defense Distributed Dudes Celebrate Their 3D-Printed Death Machine With Ridiculous Video (betabeat.com)
- Liberator – Dawn of the Wiki Weapons (wouup.wordpress.com)
- Liberator Pistol: World’s First 3D-Printed “Wiki Weapon” Fired Successfully in Texas (inhabitat.com)
- 3D-printed pistol survives test firing (gizmag.com)
- Meet The ‘Liberator’: Test-Firing The World’s First Fully 3D-Printed Gun (forbes.com)
- 3D-printer gun blueprint available for download (cbc.ca)
- The Liberator- Discreet AR-15 Gun Case Now Available in Grey (prweb.com)
- 3D printed handgun available for download after successful test-firings (arstechnica.com)
- The Liberator: The Dawn of the Wiki Weapon (txwclp.org)
Based on the Forbes article on the DD Liberator, I think we will see continued improvements on the design and the build. It will probably never be more than a backup weapon or one intended to be used as the original Liberator (hence the name, I believe).
Interestingly, most of the WWII Liberators were never distributed and were eventually destroyed. One article cited Soviet opposition to the plan. They didn’t want a bunch of these things floating around Eastern Europe during their occupation. I think the concept scared many of the governments involved. Goes back to the monopoly of violence.
The design can only get better from here. The mechanical simplicity is what makes it easy to print.