Generally I don’t consider myself a cheapskate when it comes to certain things, but like many good Americans, the Great Recession of 2008 forced many of us to change our shopping habits and those shopping habits have stuck with us even if we experienced an economic recovery.
One thing I do like about Dollar Tree and Dollar Stores in general is that you can be a prepper on a very limited budget.
Keep in mind that good “prepping” is not having only one big giant pile of “stuff” in one central bunker (which is kinda stupid if you think about it).
It is really about having small-medium sized piles of stuff in multiple locations.
Think about the locations where you often need to have “readiness” items like first aid kits, water, toiletries, kitchen utensils, toilet paper, plates, and batteries.
- Your Car Trunk
- Your Office
- Your Commuter Bag
- Your house
- Your out of town travel bag
- Your shoooting range bag
- Your gym bag
- Your purse
- Your pockets
Stocking up all seven of these locations can be expensive but it does not have to be.
Here are things I’ve found at Dollar Tree that can be applied to emergency kits for your locations where you might need them.
I will be doing a series of articles later on for preparing a kit for each location to keep the Teal Deer (“Too long did’t read”) away.
- Aspirin, Immodium, Pepto Bismol, Cold pills
- Toilet paper
- Wet Wipes
- Metal Kitchen utensils
- Plastic Wrap
- Rubbing Alchol
- Be sure to saran wrap the bottle.
- The ones in the individual foil packets dry out.
- Wet Wipes
- Dental floss and floss picks
- Stick with Colgate or Crest
- Medium bristle brushes last longer.
- Screw drivers
- Good for light usage
There is a ton of good information out there when it comes to disaster preparedness for you to read.
DuckDuckGo.com or StartPage.com can help you find it.
- Inexpensive Bug Out Bag (modernhomesteaders.net)
- Dollar Tree – Free Colgate Max Fresh Toothpaste (forthemommas.com)
- Spooners Cereal only $0.25 at Dollar Tree! (theladypreferstosave.wordpress.com)
Leave a Reply