1) If your local range has a target rotation feature in which the target will flip around after a certain time interval, USE IT!
2) Since you often just get an hour, decide beforehand what skills you want to drill.
3) Don’t bring too many long guns if going on your own. Lugging around six long guns and ammo for those guns is cumbersome and a personal security hazard in many ways.
4) A rolling tool bag makes things much easier.
5) Do your dry fire practice at home! It will pay off big in the long run.