The lawsuit brought by Brandon Holt’s family accuses Anthony and Melissa Senatore, of Toms River, of recklessness that led to the child’s death, The Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/10O3zY9) reported. They seek undisclosed damages in the lawsuit, which was filed Friday in state Superior Court in Ocean County.
“Given Brandon’s horrific death, his suffering before he passed, and his extreme young age, not to mention the claims of both parents for their own emotional suffering, the case has a value well into seven figures,” Kevin Parsons, the Holt family’s attorney, told the newspaper.
Even if the laws of the state that you live in do not mandate criminal or civil liability for leaving a gun accessible to a minor, the costs are far more than the $50 to $100 for a decent safe.
The social stigma of being publicly labeled an irresponsible gun owner along with the cost of defending against a negligence lawsuit are just not worth the cost or being irresponsible.
- Slain boy’s family sues parents of NJ shooter, 4 (newsday.com)
- Toms River parents whose 6-year-old was killed file suit against family of 4-year-old shooter (nj.com)
- Slain boy’s family sues parents of NJ shooter, 4 (ktvb.com)
- Slain boy’s family sues parents of NJ shooter, 4 (kvue.com)
- Slain boy’s family sues parents of NJ shooter, 4 (cnsnews.com)
- Slain boy’s family sue parents of shooter (nzherald.co.nz)
- Slain boy’s family sues parents of NJ shooter, 4 (sfgate.com)