- Do not sign the back of your credit cards.
- Instead, put ‘PHOTO ID REQUIRED.’
- When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the ‘For’ line. Instead, just put the last four numbers.
- The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won’t have access to it.
- Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone.
- Never have your Social Security number printed on your checks.
- You can add it if it is necessary.
- Make copies of the contents of your wallet on photocopy machine.
- Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc.
- You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel.
- Keep the photocopy in a safe place.
- File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen.
- This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation.
- Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line number.
- The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.
- How Important Identity Theft Prevention (howprotectmyid.wordpress.com)
- Protecting Your Virtual Wallet from Identity Theft (smartasset.com)
- The Ultimate Guide to Protect From Credit Card Fraud (afinanciallifecoach.wordpress.com)
- Somethings you just don’t think about…….. (sumtymziwunder.wordpress.com)
This is a good series of tips!! I will definitely use this.
[…] When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the …homeguntraining.com/…/preventing-and-recovering-from-ide… Google Alerts – Identity Theft […]