Over time there have been different rule systems when it comes to gun safety that are really just stating the same thing but in a different format.
Jeff Cooper‘s Rules of Gun Safety
- All guns are always loaded.
- That assumption works every time. If your friend or significant other hands you a gun, CHECK IT to make sure that it is not loaded. No offense is ever intended when you check a gun you are handed, but you simply cannot make assumptions when it comes to gun safety.
- Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
- Imagine a scorching hot laser beam coming out of the barrel of the gun.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
- This is one in which you have to consciously remind yourself to do it until it becomes second nature.
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
- Unlike what Joe Biden will tell you, don’t fire your shotgun blindly into the air!
- ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
- NRA’s Third Rule of Gun Safety (homeguntraining.com)
- PSA: Blank Guns Are Still Guns! (homeguntraining.com)
- Actress Katee Sackoff urges gun safety on Twitter, loses half her followers (foxnews.com)
- Gun Safety With Our Granddaughters (makeingitsimple.wordpress.com)