Who says you can’t use a Kalashnikov to go hunting?
Granted I prefer the AK-47 (in 7.62x39mm) over the AK-74 (in 5.45x39mm), but still any gun is better than no gun when it comes to facing down a bear.
Man uses assault rifle to kill charging bear near Anchorage
The Associated Press | Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 4:58 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) – A trail south of Anchorage has been closed after a man killed a brown bear that charged him.
Department of Fish and Game wildlife biologist Jessy Coltrane tells the Anchorage Daily News (http://is.gd/DbGgti) that an unidentified man came across the bear Sunday morning while hiking alone. He told Coltrane the bear charged him, and he fired 13 rounds from an AK-74 assault rifle he was carrying on his hike.
Chugach State Park Ranger Tom Crockett said the bear ran off, but later died.
Officials say the bear was skinned and the head taken to Fish and Game. But a large portion of the carcass remains about 100 yards off the trail, and likely will attract other bears.
Rangers have closed the trail between McHugh Creek and the Rainbow trailhead.
Information from: Anchorage (Alaska) Daily News, http://www.adn.com
- Alaska hiker fired 13 rounds from AK-74 into charging brown bear to survive attack (bob-owens.com)
- Man Shoots, Kills Brown Bear Near McHugh Creek (alaskapublic.org)
- AK:Hiker Stops Charging Bear with AK (gunwatch.blogspot.com)
- Bear Mauls Alaska Man Who Gave It Barbecue Meat (seattle.cbslocal.com)
- Man mauled by bear after feeding it BBQ (wcpo.com)