Officer Tina Griswold had her back to the entire crowd in the coffee shop, her peripheral vision was occluded to the left side by the cubicle like enclosure around the table they were sitting at and she was facing Sergeant Mark Renninger.
Sergeant Mark Renninger had his right side vision occluded by the cubicle enclosure. Sergeant Mark Renninger was also distracted taking care of paperwork on his laptop. Sergeant Mark Renninger was also boxed in by the cubicle enclosure, and the table and his chair.
So what can you take away from this?
- Wearing a uniform in public will get you noticed for good or for bad.
- Consider your apparel worn and what you might be telling outside observers about yourself based on your clothing.
- When sitting down at a restaurant, try to position yourself or your group so that you may readily see who is coming in and out of the place.
- Try not to box yourself in somewhere.
- Our digital devices can be major distractions.
- Think about how dangerous texting and driving is.
- That screen contributes to tunnel vision.
- Officer Down: The Legacy of Lakewood (homeguntraining.com)