Using TrueCrypt on a Windows 7 Machine
Here is how to fully encrypt a brand new Windows 7 Machine using TrueCrypt
TrueCrypt (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
- Go to www.truecrypt.org and download the latest version of the software
- Install the Software
- Check your make and model of laptop for compatibility with whole disk encryption
- Select a Drive letter in the main screen
- You don’t generally need to do a hidden volume unless you really need to.
- Select “Encrypt the Entire Disk”
- Note: Don’t just encrypt a single partition. Encrypt the entire disk!
- You can wipe the unencrypted files if you want to. It depends on how sensitive the files already on the hard drive are.
- If you wipe the drive beforehand, it will take longer.
- Select the 256 bit AES Encryption cipher
- You can select a combination cipher as well but it will add more time to the process
- Carefully choose a passphrase that is longer than 30 characters and uses irregular characters.
- Avoid words that can be found in a dictionary.
- Now go find something fun to do while the hard drive is encrypting!