Doesn’t mean that you should do it.
Open carry of a rifle in public is generally stupid. Don’t do it.
He walked into the east entrance lobby of the Capitol with an AR 15 rifle strapped across his chest, a handgun and a camera. The man walked right up to the security desk and told guards what he was doing.
I guess they got an education all right, but what was really accomplished here? This is also New Mexico, where open carry of pistols is culturally normal and accepted. In fact, they note:
A handgun in a holster, not a problem, but the gun guy’s visit had lawmakers in both parties thinking about changing the rules.
But now we’re looking at bipartisan consensus:
“I’m a strong supporter of the second amendment. And I’m also a member of the NRA, but I tell you there’s many buildings that you should not be able to carry a firearm into and one of them is the state Capitol,” Republican Sen. Carroll Leavell said.
Yes, bringing both parties together to support gun control. That was quite an education! We have enough trouble to deal with on a regular basis without having to worry we’ll need to turn people out to fight a gun ban that didn’t need to happen.
UPDATE: Here’s the video.
- New Mexico Open Carry Advocate Carries Into Capitol (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- Group parades guns downtown (toledoblade.com)
- MysteryPeople Q&A with Carlos Cisneros (mysterypeople.wordpress.com)
- Fisking an Ignorant Gun Control Editorial (larrycorreia.wordpress.com)
- Chicago Gun Laws: City Council Approves Restaurant Gun Ban, Dumps Gun Registry (huffingtonpost.com)
- Pastor carries rifle in Hunstville to raise awareness of open carry laws (kens5.com)