That rifle is the Mosin-Nagant.
It is a great gun if you need a rifle and need one quick or if you want to have extra rifles to give to family members for prepping or for the holidays.
Some things to remember about it.
- Get a sling for it!
- PROTIP: Zeroing your rifle improves your groupings!
- You may want to consider a butt stock ammo pouch.
- You may also want to consider purchasing quality Hornady ammunition.
- Cosmoline from surplus storage can be a pain to clean off sometimes
- Some older 7.62x54R ammo is corrosive so be sure to clean the gun thoroughly after shooting.
- Google Search “corrosive mosin nagant ammo” to find out which batches of surplus ammo are corrosive
- Be sure to put on a rubber recoil pad on the buttstock, the felt recoil from the rifle can be rather stout.
- Unless the wood stock is rotted or cracked, I am inclined to keep the wood stock as opposed to installing a synthetic stock.
- For what they are, the sniper editions of the Mosin-Nagant are more collector’s pieces than serious utility pieces in this day and age.
- There are better scoped long-range guns out there for the same price as a Sniper Mosin-Nagant.
Remember, the gun really does have a safety switch, it isn’t that intuitive as to where it is located though.
- This is Rifle, this is my Gun. This is for fighting, and this is for fun. (thehostages.wordpress.com)
- Cleaning Kevin’s Mosin Nagant 91/30 For The First Time (twobrothersprep.com)
- 5 Surplus Rifles under $500 (VIDEOS) (guns.com)
- Primary, Secondary, Tertiary…Part II (thefirearmblog.com)